L. Javan Grant
Principal Attorney & Firm Founder
Mr. Grant was born and raised in a small, one red light town, in North Florida. It was there where he learned the values of hard work, dedication, commitment, and perseverance – values that he continues to practice every day when fighting for the Firm’s clients. While Mr. Grant loves practicing law and helping others, his true passion is his family. You can routinely find Mr. Grant out on the football field, basketball court, and baseball fields coaching his three kids in youth sports or spending time with his most valuable player – his wife.
Who We Represent
Mr. Grant focuses his practice primarily on helping individuals who have been injured or killed due to the fault of someone else. He has years of experience in handling serious injury and wrongful death cases and knows what it takes to get the best results for his clients – because he has done so time after time. Throughout his career, he has successfully represented those hurt or killed in accidents involving cars, motorcycles, 18-wheelers, and garbage trucks and other injuries caused by defective products.
Mr. Grant also concentrates his practice in helping farmers and other agri-business landowners. Mr. Grant grew up in agriculture and brings a real-world view, practical analysis to this area of law. Mr. Grant routinely advises and represents farmers and agri-business landowners in a variety of agriculture claims and disputes including: defective seed and other farming products, pesticide and spray drift, and defective plastic. Mr. Grant also has vast experience in representing crop insurance companies in matters relating to both Florida insurance law and the Federal Crop insurance scheme.
Prior to co-founding Slater | Grant, Mr. Grant was a shareholder at Rogers Towers, P.A., one of the most respected full-service firms in Florida. Mr. Grant was also a Special Assistant to State Attorney Bernie McCabe of the Sixth Judicial Circuit in Pinellas County, Florida where he prosecuted numerous jury trial cases under the Florida Bar’s Student Practice Rule.
Mr. Grant founded Slater l Grant in 2017 with his partner, Scott Slater, to give people the skill and knowledge of a large law firm, but with the personal attention and care of a small law firm. Slater l Grant prides itself on strong advocacy for our clients, tempered by professionalism and a common-sense approach to resolving cases. We are dedicated to our clients and treat them like a member of our family. In recognition of our commitment to our clients and community, Slater l Grant received the North Tampa Bay Chamber’s Entrepreneur of the Year Award for 2019 – just two short years after being founded.
Mr. Grant has successfully tried cases in both State and Federal Courts throughout the State of Florida, as well as arbitration.
Awards & Distinctions
- Jacksonville Business Journal, Top 40 Under 40, 2012
- Ferris Award for Excellence, Intercollegiate Mock Trial Competition
- Florida Trend Magazine, “Legal Elite” (Civil Trial) (2007—present)
- Florida Super Lawyers, “Rising Stars” (2009—2014; 2016—2018)
- 2019 North Tampa Bay Chamber Chairman’s Award for Outstanding Board Member
Bar Association Memberships
- The Florida Bar, Trial Lawyer Section
- Hillsborough Bar Association, Trial Lawyers Section
- East Pasco Bar Association
Professional and Community Involvement
- North Tampa Bay Chamber Board of Director (2017-present)
- Member, Florida Fruit and Vegetable Association
- Member, American Agricultural Law Association
- Wesley Chapel Rotary Club – Sunrise
- North Tampa Bay Chamber of Commerce
- Leadership Pasco, Class of 2016
- Volunteer Coach, Youth YMCA Basketball League
- Past Member, Stetson University College of Law Mock Trial Competition Team
- Volunteer Coach, Dade City Little League
- Volunteer Coach, Under Armour Under the Flights Flag Football
- U.S. District Cout, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
Publications and Presentations
- Author, Companies: Are you at risk for destroying evidence?
- Author, Employers: Have you done a background check on your prospective employees?
- Author, Companies: What duty do you have to protect your customers from criminal attacks while on your property?
- Author, Farmers beware: Liability under attractive nuisance doctrine.
- Presenter, American Bar Association: Counseling Farmers & Ranchers, Agri-Business and Food Entrepreneurs on Insurance, September 15, 2015.
- Stetson University College of Law, J.D., with honors, 2004 (Advocacy Concentration Degree)
- Florida Southern College, B.A., with honors, 2001