Crop Insurance Claims
We represent farmers across Florida and the Southeast against insurance companies and the federal government in crop insurance claims. The policies are long and complex and knowing how the system works is critical in order for a farmer to receive fair and just compensation from a crop loss.
Generally, there are three main players:
- the farmer;
- a private insurance company; and
- the Federal Government.
Types of Disputes
The types of disputes usually involve an issue over the policy language or how the claim procedure works, failure of a farmer to use good farming practices, or an incorrect decision by the federal government concerning the claims process or other matters related to the policy. Some of the most common disputes involve:
- Wrongful interpretation of the policy;
- Wrongful calculation of the premium;
- A farmer’s failure to engage in good farming practices;
- Wrongful adjustment of the claim or failure to take into account full amount of damages;
- Misrepresentation about available coverage; or
- Negligence of the insurance agent in procuring coverage.
What A Farmer Can Do
Contact a crop insurance attorney at Slater l Grant. Our firm has attorneys who grew up in agriculture, which enables us to bring a real-world view, practical analysis to this area of law. Slater l Grant attorneys routinely advise and represent farmers and agri-business landowners in a variety of agriculture claims, including matters relating to both Florida insurance law and the Federal Crop insurance scheme. We do things differently and are here to help if you need us.