Tips for Safe Driving in the Rain
We are in the heart of Florida’s rainy season, with bigger storms and wet gusts of wind hitting in the afternoons and through the night. Slater | Grant has compiled some tips to remember for improved safety while driving in these conditions.
- Postpone your commute if time allows it. Driving is always best when you feel comfortable doing it.
- Slow down.
- Check headlights, taillights, and windshield wipers to make sure they are on and working properly.
- Maintain a safe distance between vehicles and avoid hard braking.
- Turn on your defroster to help ventilate the vehicle.
- Never use cruise control in wet conditions.
- Drive in the middle lanes, as water tends to collect on the outer portions of roads.
- Know how to handle a skid and hydroplaning. Ease off the gas (do not slam on your brakes) and do not change the direction of the steering wheel.
- Watch for pedestrians.
- Pull over if conditions worsen and you cannot see.
While these tips are general guidelines to follow, you may still find yourself or someone you know in an accident. Slater | Grant has extensive experience in handling personal injury cases, holding at-fault drivers responsible. With offices in Hillsborough and Pasco, we handle cases across the Tampa Bay area and throughout the State.